My circle of friends that are within childbearing age is dwindling. Which means that whenever there’s a baby on the way…we have to celebrate and go all out! For this baby shower I prepared a number of dishes. I also put myself in charge of the games. I love to play board games, card games, dominoes, trivia games, and pretty much anything along those lines. The games were fun (borrowed from Pinterest) and the theme we chose for the shower was oh so cute, elephants. Both recipes are fail proof!
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for 1 hour or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in thickness. Cut out with Christmas cookie cutters of your choice. Using a floured spatula, transfer cookies to greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Decorate cookies with frosting and colored sugars.
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons milk (I used 3 or 4 tsps)
2 teaspoons light corn syrup (i used 3 or 4 tsps)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
assorted icing coloring
- In a small bowl, stir together confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
- Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush.