1/3 cup walnuts
One 1 1/4-pound eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
Extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 Bosc pears—peeled, cored and sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
1 tablespoon Cognac or other brandy
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1 tablespoon honey
Thin shavings of Pecorino
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a pie plate, toast the walnuts for about 5
minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
2. Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil
and season with salt and pepper. Grill the eggplant over moderately high heat
until lightly browned and tender, about 2 minutes per side.
3. In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the pear slices and cook over
moderate heat, tossing, until just starting to soften, 3 minutes. Add the
Cognac and toss the pears to coat thoroughly; remove from the heat.
4. In a small bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons of oil with the garlic, vinegar, 1
tablespoon of the parsley and 1/2 tablespoon of the chives. Season the
vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
5. Arrange the eggplant slices on a platter and drizzle with the vinaigrette.
Arrange the pear slices over the eggplant and drizzle with the honey. Scatter
the walnuts, cheese and the remaining 1 tablespoon of parsley and 1/2
tablespoon of chives over the top. Serve.